You may know REALTOR.org as the website of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®. It’s the place where you can read back issues of REALTOR® magazine and pass the time by viewing numerous Facebook and Twitter accounts.
But REALTOR.org is more than magazines and social media. Our organization is active in Washington, D.C., where we meet regularly with Senators and lobbyists to pass legislation that directly affects real estate professionals like you. And we’re accomplishing real results.
Did you know:
- The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® is the largest professional trade association in the United States.
- The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® represents more than one million residential and commercial REALTORS®, including brokers, salespeople, property managers, appraisers and counselors.
- The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® advocates policy initiatives to foster a sound and dynamic U.S. real estate market.
- The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® worked with both Democrat and Republican members of the House and Senate to secure a “real estate professional exclusion” in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Financial Protection Act of 2010, ensuring that the daily business of REALTORS® was not negatively impacted by this historic piece of legislation.
- After eight years of work to convince Congress that banks should not be allowed in the real estate brokerage business, the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® achieved its objective when the Omnibus Appropriations Bill, H.R. 1105, was signed into law, declaring neither real estate brokerage or real estate management can be classified as a financial activity.
- The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® successfully raised the profile of the challenges that face the self-employed and small employers, including REALTORS®, throughout the 111th Congress’ debate over health care reform.
- H.R. 1, the “American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009,” was signed by the President on February 17, 2009. Included in the provision, at the urging of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®, was a tax credit for first-time home buyers.
- The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® championed legislation to restore funding to the Section 502 single-family rural housing program and make the program self-sustaining, with minimal impact to consumers. In FY09, the program guaranteed 116,000 rural families affordable, safe home loans.
This list represents only a fraction of our recent accomplishments. See the rest here, and while you’re there, take a look at our goals for 2011. As a member, you have the ability to get involved in our political and legislative efforts to enact real change where it most matters. Even if you can’t directly participate in the effort, we’ll keep you in the loop with video updates and posts on our government affairs page.