The National Association of REALTORS® recognizes the importance of giving back to the communities our members serve. NAR announced it will be joining forces with Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) in an effort to ensure America’s kids continue to have great futures.
BGCA is the largest youth serving organization in America, with more than 4,100 Clubs located throughout the country and on military installations across the world. There are Boys & Girls Clubs in every state and Congressional district that serve as a home away from home for nearly 4 million kids each year during the critical time after school and in the summer.
Supporting BGCA brings significant value to the real estate industry by extending good will to local communities. REALTORS® care about the neighborhoods they serve and those who live in these communities, including children. Our members have a variety of resources and skills they can offer to local Clubs, which will impact the Club and those who call it their “second home.”
Key Benefits for REALTORS®
Creating a relationship with local Clubs has so many benefits for the community, the Club, the youth they serve and of course, REALTORS®. While the Clubs benefit from an increase in volunteer resources, REALTORS® have the opportunity to create an ongoing relationship with kids within their communities, including:
- Better understanding the needs of the community. Club staff, parents and members are all vital parts of the community in which you live and work. Supporting a program and cause in the local community has a “halo effect” that will help build and expand your business.
- Developing additional skills. Engaging with a local Club will provide opportunities to enhance communication skills, project management skills and even presentation skills.
- Being a passionate board member or volunteer for a worthy cause. Clubs need professionals who are committed to its mission. Being a volunteer or a board member is not only a great service to the community and to Club kids, but it’s also an opportunity to learn how non-profits operate and form connections with other leaders in the community.
How to Get Involved
The best place to start is to visit the NAR/BGCA webpage, which provides several resources for getting involved, including how to find the nearest Boys & Girls Club, learn how others are volunteering their time and get ideas on how you can make a difference, like:
- Volunteering to be a coach for the sports league or be an after school tutor
- Planning a clean-up day, offering to paint the Club or providing landscaping services
- Sponsoring a backpack drive to collect school supplies
- Volunteering to make healthy snacks
- Planning a holiday-themed event, like “Cookies with Santa” or a Halloween party, or inviting local Club Kids for a day of arts and crafts, snacks and holiday fun
- Hosting a career day to help teenagers learn how to dress for the job, interview, negotiate a salary, etc.
Download the Partnership and Club Engagement Toolkit for more in-depth information on the partnership, the processes for building long-term relationships, tips for engaging with youth and donation/fundraising guidelines.
No matter how you choose to get involved, NAR wants to know about it. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your story and pictures (if you have them); you may be featured on the NAR/BGCA webpage!
Making a Donation
Some members may not be able to volunteer their time and instead, wish to make a donation. All donations, even to a local Club, should be made through the national BGCA website. Please notify NAR of any donation being made, as the national organization wants to recognize the financial success given to their local Clubs on an aggregate level. Email email@example.com.
A Boys & Girls Club provides kids a safe place to play, grow and succeed. We know REALTORS® are active participants in their community who often volunteer their time and resources to those in need. Together, our involvement with Boys & Girls Clubs can make a huge difference for those who need it the most.